Application deadline extended: Apply here for summer 2023!

Apply Now Enquire Our Events WhatsApp

During your semester abroad, you will have the opportunity to explore a part of the world while studying. Take advantage of the opportunity to gain intercultural experience and learn about new perspectives at one of our partner universities.


Below you will find further information for visiting students who would like to come to UE.


A semester abroad is enriching for both your studies and your personal development. That is why it is an important component in many degree programmes.


Our International Affairs experts at UE will advise and support you in choosing the perfect partner university that suits you.


More information about the internship semester.

Study abroad at any of our partner universities in Europe, North America, Australia or Asia.


If none of our partner universities appeals to you, other alternatives are possible. Bear in mind that these other universities must meet certain accreditation criteria to ensure an equivalent academic standard. Plus, the application process entails more work and effort on your part. For your convenience, we always recommend you select one of our partner universities.



  • Selected programmes of study and reliable university relationships.
  • Erasmus+ Scholarship: Monthly allowance during your time abroad.
  • Certified compatibility of credit systems with UE.


The semester abroad can be carried out in the 5th semester (BA) instead of the internship. This means that UE students have the choice between a practical semester and a semester abroad. Information on the choice of university abroad is provided each semester via information events.

Yes, it is of course also possible to do an internship abroad instead of studying abroad. Please contact the Career Affairs Team by email for further information. The International Affairs Team also holds various information sessions every semester, which you are welcome to attend.

You will choose your courses beforehand, which will normally be accepted upon your return. You are required to earn 30 credit points or their equivalent while studying abroad. 


Yes, the regular tuition fees for UE will also be charged during your semester abroad/internship. Please read your study contract with UE thoroughly again.

Funding opportunities & scholarships for students and employees

Erasmus is the EU's education programme to promote student and teacher mobility. Learn more here.

To financially support your stay abroad (semester abroad/internship abroad), you can apply for a scholarship in the ERASMUS+ or Promos programme.


What is ERASMUS+?


Erasmus is the EU's education programme to promote student and teacher mobility. Within the framework of ERASMUS+, for example, two, usually European, universities can enter a strategic partnership to promote the exchange of students. The participating students are granted scholarships (depending on the available funds). The exact regulations of ERASMUS+ can be read here.


What advantages do I have?

With ERASMUS+, you pay no tuition fees at the foreign university during your semester abroad and receive a scholarship (depending on available funds) in the form of a monthly grant. You will also benefit from the organised and reliable relationship between UE and your university abroad. In the context of an internship abroad, you can receive destination-dependent, financial grants for your internship.


Who can receive an ERASMUS+ grant?

Students enrolled at German universities who are nationals of a country participating in the programme or who are officially recognised as refugees, stateless persons or permanent residents in the country where they reside are eligible for student mobility. For further criteria, please contact the International and Career Affairs Team.


How can I apply for an ERASMUS+ scholarship?

To apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship, you will need a letter of motivation and possibly other documents in addition to the application documents from the respective ERASMUS partner university/company abroad. You will be informed about the exact procedure by the International and Career Affairs Team.


What are the selection criteria?

The following criteria apply to the awarding of an ERASMUS+ scholarship:

- Letter of motivation: Highlight your academic/professional goals for studying abroad; for example, focus on the modalities of research and teaching at the partner university.

- Grade point average

- Language skills


Erasmus Charter

The European Commission has awarded UE the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education 2021-2027. Possession of a valid charter is a prerequisite for participation in ERASMUS+. It commits us to promote student and staff exchanges and provides the quality framework for all activities within the ERASMUS programme. Read our ERASMUS+ policy statement here. The ERASMUS Charter for Students can be found here.


Zero-Grant Funding

Zero-Grant students receive a tuition-free ERASMUS place, but no mobility grant. If there are not enough funds for all ERASMUS participants, applications submitted before the deadline will be served first. Students who have applied after the given deadline may not receive a mobility grant at first. If additional funds are then available, zero-grant exchange participants may retroactively receive the mobility grant, which would then be the same as that of students funded from the beginning. Residual applicants must therefore be aware that they may either not be funded at all (low probability) or receive the grant only during or after completion of the ERASMUS study abroad programme (high probability).



Increasing the international mobility of students is of great importance to UE. The mobility programme, PROMOS, of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), makes an important contribution to this with scholarships for studying abroad.

UE students are supported within the PROMOS framework in the following funding lines:

- Study visits

- Internships

- Study trips

All information about the PROMOS programme for 2022 applications can be found here. The application form and the Letter of Recommendation are two documents that are required.

Come to the UE!

Our Berlin campus is diverse and attracts students from all over the world. In this video, our international students tell us what they particularly like about UE.

Come to the UE!

Our Berlin campus is diverse and attracts students from all over the world. In this video, our international students tell us what they particularly like about UE.


If you are already enrolled at a university outside of Germany, we would be happy to welcome you for one or two semesters at one of our locations during your stay abroad: Berlin, Hamburg, Potsdam or Iserlohn. UE offers programmes for incoming/visiting students in the departments of Business, Art & Design and Tech & Software. The programme of study and the language you wish to study in will determine which campus you will study with us.

Students at UE

Our offer

UE offers a number of programmes for incoming students each semester. UE offers programmes with a total of 30 credit points according to the ECTS standard (regular workload). The Business programmes contain a predefined set of courses which can be attended during the semester. Our Art & Design programmes offer the possibility to choose courses from different programmes. The current programmes offered to incoming students are:



  • Communication Design
  • Photography & New Media
  • Game Design
  • Film & Motion Design
  • Illustration
  • Business & Management Studies
  • Digital Business & Data Sciences
  • Sport & Event Management
  • Digital Media & Marketing
  • Software Engineering
  • Psychology
  • Business Psychology



  • New Media Design
  • Photography
  • Innovation Design Management
  • Visual Experience Design
  • Corporate Management
  • International Sport & Event Management
  • Data Science
  • Software Engineering


The available programmes for visiting students vary each semester. Please contact the Service Center for detailed and current programme offerings

Application deadline:

  • Wednesday 1 June for the winter semester (first semester) starting in September / October.
  • Thursday 1 December for the summer semester (second semester) starting in March.


The application process includes the following steps:

  • If you are from one of our partner universities, your university must first nominate you for an incoming place with us.
  • Please complete our online application form and upload the required application documents:
    • Passport / copy of identity card
    • Language certificate (B2)
    • Enrolment certificate of your home university
    • Last report card
    • Photo (portrait format, jpeg)
    • Portfolio (only for Art & Design)
  • After the application deadline, incoming students will receive their written acceptance and contract.
  • Students from ERASMUS partner universities: No fees at the University of Europe for Applied Sciences.


  • Students from other partner universities: Depending on the individual agreement. Please enquire at the home university


  • Free movers (students from non-partner universities): Regular tuition fees

We offer both English and German language programmes. To participate successfully in the classes, your language skills should correspond to the competence level B2 or higher. If the language you have chosen is not your native language, please include proof of your language skills with your application.

As at most German universities, the academic year at UE is divided into two semesters. The winter semester (first semester) runs from the end of September to the end of January and the summer semester (second semester) runs from the end of March to the end of July.

The exact dates can be found here.

UE runs a Summer School initiative to connect people from around the world. Summer School invites you to see and try things, learn and get to know people from across different continents.

Due to the unpredictability of COVID-19, regretfully, we are not offering a Summer School in Summer 2022. The next Summer School is planned for July / August 2023.


Learn from experts

Each course includes company visits/meetings with industry experts. All Summer School lecturers work in the industry and draw on professional and up-to-date knowledge and expertise.


Stand out in the job market

Participants will receive a certificate of completion and your final project of the course will be graded. Additional know-how, interest and commitment help you stand out in the job market. Build your knowledge and add that extra something to your resume.


Interactive lectures

Expect a variety of activities, case studies, interviews with industry experts, individual and group work and field trips within the city. The course concludes with a presentation of your final project.


Credit Points

Each programme awards 3 credit points (according to ECTS standard). At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion and a transcript.


Socialise and have fun

Social activities increase the attractiveness of the programme further. Possible activities include a Bundestag tour, visit a food market and salsa dancing.


Past programmes

  • Sport & Event Management - the course looked at the special structures of sports management, environmental conditions, economic and legal framework, basic business functions and processes in sports management.

  • Street Photography - The Street Photography Workshop ‘Faces of Berlin’ was dedicated to portrait photography in the streets of Berlin. In addition to theoretical and practical aspects related to the topic, students gained hands-on experience by creating a personal portfolio of their street portraits and receiving individual guidance.

  • Digital Marketing - In this course, students received an overview of digital branding and digital commerce, as well as an elaboration of specific digital channels essential to a modern marketing mix.

  • Portrait & Fashion Photography - The course explored contemporary fashion and portrait photography by looking at the work of outstanding photographers from past decades to the present. Students were given a first look at the workflow of a professional shoot - from conception to production to execution.

We look forward to hearing from you: and wish you every success with your stay abroad!


Welcome services - directly after arrival contact our Welcome Centre for Visa, registration of an apartment/registration of address, residence permit ad others.

Stay in Germany

When can a visa or a residence permit be extended?

You can extend your visa (i.e., change a student visa to a student residence permit) any time after you enter Germany and before it expires. Although you can work with a visa, some employers prefer it when a student already has a residence permit before they accept the job.

If you already have a residence permit, it can be extended no earlier than 8 weeks before it is scheduled to expire.

What are the benefits of your student residence title?

Live in Germany

The student residence permit allows you to live in Germany for the duration of your studies.

Work in Germany

According to German law, international students can work during their studies only for a certain number of hours. You can work full-time for 120 days per year, or part-time for 240 days per year. Long-term contracts are prohibited during this period.

In addition

If you graduate from a German university, you can apply for a job-seeking residence permit for another 18 months.

Aborting studies: what happens to my residence permit / title?

The residence permit is always tied to a specific purpose. In the case of §16b AufenthG, the residence permit is issued for the purpose of studying. If the course is discontinued, the purpose of the issued residence permit does not apply. As a result, the residence permit will be withdrawn or you will not be able to renew it. If you drop out of your studies, you should always take into account the legal residence perspective.

My residence title will expire before my appointment. Is that a problem?

If your residence title was still valid on the date you booked your appointment, it will be considered as continuing in the federal territory until the scheduled date of your appointment.

This means that you can continue to work or study until your appointment. You can present your booking confirmation to the authorities and employers as appropriate proof. However, you cannot travel outside of Germany.



This applies only on the condition that you attend the appointment you have booked.

I am a British national, where can I find information about Brexit?

As a British national, you are now allowed to enter Germany for long-term purposes such as studying without a prior visa procedure. However, once you are here, you need to apply for a residence permit.

I entered Germany without a visa (only possible for certain nationalities), how do I apply for a residence permit?

You can apply the same way as students who have a visa before the expiration of your 90-day stay.

A visa in Germany is for entry purposes only, and, therefore, the residence permit is mandatory for all those staying for a longer period. If you are allowed to enter Germany without a visa, you might be able to apply for a residence permit directly in Germany. Check here to learn if you are eligible.

The immigration authority is now issuing the electronic residence permit - eAT (card). It is highly advised to apply for the residence permit as early as possible, as there are currently long processing times.


  • Only non-European citizens need this document
  • It is bound to a specific purpose (either §16b or §20)
  • It is bound to a German address registration. Unless you decide to give up your residence title and leave Germany completely, you must still be registered. Otherwise, your residence permit expires.

Application for a student residence permit (§16b)

You can extend your visa (i.e., change a student visa to a student residence permit) any time after you enter Germany, but it must be extended before it expires. Both, your student visa and residence permit, allow you to work 120 full-time days or 240 part-time days within a calendar year (this does not include an internship if it is a mandatory part of your degree).


  • Your temporary residence permit in principle lapses if you stay abroad continuously for longer than 6 months (Section 51 (1 No 7) Residency Act).
  • If you need to leave Germany for longer than 6 months, you need to receive permission from the immigration authority to keep your temporary residence permit before you leave. It is only allowed for a valid reason such as an internship or a semester abroad.



Learn more about a student residence permit and book an appointment here. We would also recommend reading the FAQs, in case some of your questions are answered here.

The International Affairs team can also support you with the residence permit application in Berlin. If you would like to proceed through university services, please send us an email via with the subject: Application residence permit (use your UE email).



Learn more about a student residence permit here.

You can book an appointment via or (03312)89-1113. Please include the following:

  • Last name, first name and date of birth as stated in Passport,
  • The reasons for your interview (e.g., first issue/extension of a residence permit).



Learn more about a student residence permit here. Book an appointment here.



Learn more about a student residence permit, find the correct contact and book an appointment here.

Job-seeking residence permit after graduation (§20)

The job-seeking residence permit allows you to seek gainful employment in Germany after the successful completion of your studies. You can apply for it only if you are present in Germany.

It is granted for 18 months. During the 18 months, you can work in any job, either for a company or self-employed. Please learn about tax payment (especially when working on your own, for example as a freelancer). After 18 months, you will need to have a job related to your studies and your degree (Bachelor’s / Master’s).


Learn more about a job-seeking residence permit and book an appointment here. We would also recommend reading the FAQs, in case some of your questions are answered here.

The International Affairs team can also support you with the residence permit application in Berlin. If you would like to proceed through university services, please send us an email via with the subject: Application job-seeking residence permit (use your UE email).


Learn more about a job-seeking residence permit and how to book an appointment here.

You can also book an appointment via or (03312)89-1113. Please include the following:

  • Last name, first name and date of birth as stated in Passport,
  • The reasons for your interview (job-seeking residence permit).


Learn more about a job-seeking residence permit here. Book an appointment here.


Learn more about a job-seeking residence permit, find the correct contact and book an appointment here.


After entering the country, you must register with a Citizen Centre (Bürgeramt) within 14 days of moving into a private apartment or student residence hall.

The following documents are required:

  • Registration form
  • ORIGINAL confirmation of move-in from the landlord (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)
  • ORIGINAL Passport / ID (both if you are a German citizen)
  • Supplement to registration/declaration of the main residence (if there are several apartments in Germany)


Book an appointment in BERLIN | POTSDAM | HAMBURG | ISERLOHN.

Address registration through university services (only in Berlin)

The International Affairs Team can support you with the address registration in Berlin. The process is shown below:

  1. Send all the documents for review to in PDF format with the subject: Registration at the Citizen Centre (use your UE email) – make sure all the information is clearly visible
  2. Expert International Affairs check your documents
  3. If everything is complete, then you hand over the documents including your passport / ID to us in person on the appointment given
  4. We hand over your document to the Citizen Centre
  5. Your passport will be available for pick-up the day after at UE Service Center (please see your appointment email for the pick-up time)
  6. Pick up your Anmeldung / address registration at UE Service Center (takes around 2 weeks).


  • This service is only available once a month for the first three months of each semester.
  • If you send your documents on the last day, you might not receive an appointment as there are a limited number and will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Around two weeks after registration, you will also receive your Tax ID by post. Tax ID is permanent and it never changes. Your Tax ID is at the top right corner of a document from the Bundeszentralamt für Steuern. Otherwise, you can request your Tax ID here.



If you start working in Germany, your employer will need your Tax ID to calculate your income tax.

If you have statutory health insurance, you will get your SIN (Sozialversicherungsnummer) 2-4 weeks after you apply for health insurance. Additionally, you will receive a letter with Sozialversicherungsausweis from the Public Pension Fund (Deutsche Rentenversicherung) that contains your SIN. You can also ask for a membership confirmation document (Mitgliedsbescheinigung) from your health insurer. This document also contains your SIN.

If you have private health insurance, and you never had public health insurance before, you must request the SIN from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung. This can take 2-3 months by post or you can get it the same day if you visit their office when it is open.


During COVID-19, if the office is closed, you can also request your SIN via email, which will take approximately 1 week. Please write in the German language, stating your first name, last name, phone number, name of university and the reason you need your SIN (e.g., part-time job). Also attach colour copies of:

  • Passport
  • Residence Permit
  • Address Registration (Meldebestätigung)







Your employer must have your social insurance number before they can pay you.

After address registration, you will receive a letter from ´Rundfunk ARD, ZDF, DRadio´ about your broadcasting fees (‘Rundfunkgebühren’). Every household in Germany is obliged to pay this contribution. The broadcast fee is 18.36 EUR a month for an apartment and is regulated by law.

If you live in a shared flat, broadcasting fees are covered by the entire household, you do not have to pay separately. You still have to inform the Beitragsservice. More information can be found here.