Professor for Game Programming (m, f, d)
The University of Europe for Applied Sciences (UE) is a vibrant and dynamic institution that is dedicated to providing top-quality education to students from all around the world. Our programmes are delivered in English and/or German language, and with more than 100 nationalities represented on campus, we are proud to have one of the most diverse student bodies in Europe. Our campus locations in Berlin, Potsdam, Hamburg, Iserlohn, and Dubai (UAE) provide a truly international experience for our students and staff alike.
At UE, we are more than just a university – we are a family and we believe our employees are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to creating a supportive and inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive. As part of the Global University Systems (GUS) network, we offer a wide range of professional development opportunities, including bachelor's and master's degree programs, language courses, and executive education. With approximately 87,000 students across 57 locations worldwide, GUS provides an unparalleled international network for learning and collaboration.
If you are passionate about education and want to join a dynamic and innovative institution that values diversity, quality teaching, and its people, then we invite you to join our UE family today.
We are looking for a new colleague to join our Academic Team at Art & Design Faculty in Berlin on a Parttime basis /20 hour a week starting September 2023, who shares our vision of excellence in education and who is committed to making a difference in the lives of our students and staff.
You will join existing staff as Professor at the Berlin campus of UE. You will deliver modules in creative, conceptual, and practical design areas to Game Design students and other modules in related areas. As role holder you will have up-to-date industry experience and contribute to the school's active research, enterprise and knowledge exchange activities. Moreover, you will support the university in teaching, research, outreach, and academic administration.
You are and outstanding artistic and creative individual with relevant national and/or international experience and reputation in the conception and reputation in the conception and realization of computer game for various platforms, particularly in the are of game programming.
Key tasks and Responsibilities:
You understand interactive entertainment media in their full artistic-creative potential and their social and cultural relevance and have a willingness to experiment with their technological design. In the Game Design B.A., you will teach:
• basic computing concepts,
• basics of computer science,
• version control, prototyping, software architecture,
• as well as the technical implementation and iteration of computer games, as a combination of theoretical reflection and artistic-technological practice.
You train technical and creative programmers at the interface between technology, game art and game design and support them in their work on projects.
Requirements for professorship:
• Completed university studies
• Proof of extraordinary qualifications for artistic work related to the field of the professorship demonstrated by e.g. outstanding work samples, peer evaluations, publications, awards and recognitions
• Qualified professional experience in the field of the professorship, at least three years, two of them outside of a university
• Several years of teaching experience at universities
• Proficient working knowledge of digital media and game related software, e.g. game engines, programming languages, game relevant APIs, asset creation tools, sketching tools, etc.
• Past experience in teaching creative design processes for digital design students.
• Expert level of verbal and written communication skills in English, German language skills are optionally nice to have
• The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the university.
• Experience or willingness in developing practice-based research/applied research
• Exhibition/show planning and execution
• Experience of working successfully in a commercial design studio or freelance, awareness of contemporary design debates, and engagement with design industry professional and/or research bodies
The UE University of Europe for Applied Sciences attaches particular importance to the willingness to initiate cooperation with partners from culture, science, business, and research. Therefore, proven networking with partners in Berlin is welcomed. The appointment will take place in the winter semester 2023/24.
What we offer:
• Opportunity to work with a great team in a dynamic and international environment
• Preventive and aftercare healthcare options
• 30 days of vacation
• Various online language courses and opportunities to participate in online collaboration courses (e.g., IBM Design Thinking)
• Numerous campus events from the fields of art, culture, business and science
• Opportunity to develop and implement new ideas and concepts
Then we look forward to receiving your application!
The hiring requirements for professorship are based on the provisions of §41 of the university law of the Federal State of Brandenburg/Germany. The award of the title Professor by the University of Applied Sciences of Europe is contingent on the approval of the Ministry of Science, Research, and Culture of the Federal State of Brandenburg/Germany.
We need the following documents to review your application:
• Curriculum vitae
• Comprehensive list of publications, work samples, etc.
• Overview of courses given to date (scope, topic) as well as teaching evaluations
• Work certificates/professional references.
Please email the application to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 01.08.2023
For professional in-depth inquiries, please consult Prof. Csongor Baranyai email@example.com
The university aims to increase the proportion of women among its employees. Therefore, we expressly invite women with a suitable profile to apply.
As an employer, we are committed to equal opportunity and support for minorities. We do not discriminate based on ethnic origin, skin color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or legally protected status.